Competitions are an incentive for you to keep taking new, interesting and challenging photographs and provide you direct feedback from experienced judges which is crucial to improving your technique and developing your own unique style.
The groups are designed to provide a more balanced competitive environment by grouping members with similar skill levels.
There are 2 groups:
This group includes the club’s best photographers. This group will receive comments/feedback from the judges as well as awards as allocated.
This group is comprised of all other members (including beginners) who wish to compete for awards, but do not feel they have sufficient skill to compete in the Advanced Group. This group will receive comments/feedback from the judge as well as awards as allocated.
Every monthly competition is comprised of three sections:
- Printed Images – Open Subject
- EDI – Open Subject
- EDI – Set Subject
Combined with the groups, most months have a total of six sections.
On select months (see schedule) we have an additional section (all groups combined) for creative images that will be judged by the same judge as the usual three sections. Entries are to be submitted along with other entries for that month, use CREATIVE in the filename. There will be a creative aggregate trophy awarded at the end of the year.
Definition for creative:
An image which depicts an imagined scene, or unusual combinations, alterations and/ or perspectives of reality. All images must be original and all incorporated elements must have been produced by the entrant. Artwork or computer graphics generated by the entrant may be incorporated so long as elements of photographic origin predominate.
Judging and points
For all monthly competitions a guest judge will provide feedback and (for advanced and intermediate groups) will award Merits and Highly Commended to any images they feel are deserving of such awards. One image from each section will also be nominated as the winner.
Points are awarded as follows:
- Merit award – 2 aggregate points
- Highly commended award – 3 aggregate points
- Section winner – 4 aggregate points
End of year
At the end of the year we have a competition where members enter their best images from throughout the year, with two images in each of:
- Open print
- Colour EDI
- Monochrome EDI
The entry must have been entered into a monthly competition from that year, be in the same format and have no additional alterations. A print must have been previously entered as a print, and an EDI must have been previously entered as an EDI. An EDI cannot be printed and entered as a print, or vice versa.
For the end of year competition, you do not resubmit the EDI image files, please only send through a list of the image filenames as entered previously.
At the end of the year we also announce the top performing members in each of the six monthly competition sections.
Entering monthly competitions
Entries are generally due a month prior (see schedule for specific dates) to the competition night. Print entries are brought along and put into the print box, EDI entries (including an EDI of your print) are emailed to email@example.com. See below for technical details.
Note for Apple Mail users; please refer to this support article to ensure your images remain at their intended size.
- One image can be submitted in each section per member per month
- Entries must be submitted by the due date for each competition, generally this is the previous competition night
- All images must be the entrants own work including any post production editing
- An image NOT receiving an award of Merit or Highly Commended or Section Winner may be re-entered in a subsequent calendar year. The image may be changed. The image must be identified with the new competition date and the Competition Steward informed that the image is a re-entry. No further re-entries of that original image (or as amended) are permitted, with exception of the End of Year Competition
- Entries cannot display the entrant’s name or past awards won (e.g. watermarks on EDI’s / or certificates / names on the back of print mounts)
For compatibility with interclub competitions our entry requirements follow the VAPS (Victorian Association of Photographic Societies) minimum standard.
- Entries must be matted, maximum overall size is 40 x 50cm (16” x 20”)
- Maximum thickness of matt and backing board is 5mm
- All matts must have a backing board covering the print
- The back of the mounted print must be labeled in the top left-hand corner with an arrow indicating the top of the print, your member number, your grade, and the title of the print.
- A digital copy of each printed image MUST also be submitted for projection during the meeting
EDI entries (and digital copies of printed images) are to be:
- Submitted via email (one message per member with all entries for that month) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- JPEG in sRGB colour space of 5MB or less
- No more than 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels tall (these dimensions can NOT be switched around)
- Named according to the specified format below
WCC reserves the right to select images entered into its internal competitions for submission into external WCC sanctioned events.
The format is: (your group)(your member number)-(month)(year)(print,edi,setsubject)-(title).jpg
|(your group)||A or I. Use a capital letter|
|(your member number)||1, 2 or 3 digit member number (avoid adding leading zeros)|
|(month)||FEB, MAR, APR, MAY, JUN, JUL, AUG, SEP, OCT, NOV
Use 3 capital letters as you see here.
|(year)||Two digits for the year|
|(section)||PRINT – the image is a digital copy of the print
EDI – the image is an entry in the EDI open section
SETSUBJECT – the image is an entry in the EDI set subject section
CREATIVE – the image is an entry in the creative section
Use capital letters exactly as shown.
|(title)||Use upper and lower case as you see fit, we do not have specific requirements.
Note that the title provided in the filename will be used as-is in the gallery, slideshow, and on certificates.
When you put it all together it should look like:
- I111-SEP16PRINT-Best Print Ever.jpg
- A2-JUL16EDI-World’s Greatest Image.jpg
- E120-MAR16SETSUBJECT-My Entry Name.jpg
Please note the placement of the 2 hyphens and note also that the only spaces should be in the title.